Friday, September 27, 2013

Running Away From Colds and Excuses

Well, I'm one month into the school year and, overall, things are going pretty well.  I haven't been running as much as I'd like because the germy little 5th graders gave me a cold...sigh...however, I rocked my 10k last Saturday WITH a cold.  It is the first time I've raced a 10k and it was a challenging and hilly course.  I managed to pull off 1:14:18!  I was planning on averaging a 12:30ish pace and came in under 12.  I am so thrilled!  I even took a couple of short walking breaks up some of the hills and it is still my fastest 10k time yet (at least, during this round of being active).  Until last weekend, I didn't understand how someone could run/walk at about the same pace someone else runs, however, now I see that it can work if you take short walking breaks.  It gives your body a chance to rest and let's you run faster when you do run.  There were a few people who kept pace with me for most of the race even though they walked more than I did.  This will be valuable knowledge for my longer races.

I was very close to skipping the race altogether.  My head was trying to tell me to give in to my cold and to curl up on the couch all day.  But, I decided that I wanted to earn my race shirt.  I decided that it would feel weird to wear it without actually participating in the race, like I cheated or something.  I finally convinced myself to go.  I told myself that since I only lived 1 block off of the course a little over mile 1 (and just before mile 5, as it was out and back), I could always drop out if I felt too sick.  However, I felt so much better once I began running that I just kept going.  I did end up getting sicker and missing work on Monday, but it was so worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat!  I knew that if I let my head talk me out of my third ever race, I would set and evil precedent and probably try to convince myself to skip future, more important races, which would ultimately lead me to give up on running altogether.




I tried to run a couple of days ago.  I felt fantastic!  I was energetic and light on my feet, BUT...my lungs wouldn't let me fly for more than a few minutes.  Once I started coughing, I couldn't stop.  This is the stage where my exercise routine usually ceases to exist.  I get sick and have to take a week or two off.  I fear that exercising too soon will make me sicker and it is really difficult to take a sick day when you're a teacher.  During this time off, I lose fitness and then get frustrated when I can't run as far or as fast as I could before.  Wednesday's run attempt was me defying this habit.  I'm determined not to let this setback stop me this time.  I am so tired of giving up and having to start over.  I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE UP!  I will try again tomorrow and see how my run goes.  I'm supposed to do another 6-miler this weekend, but I know that won't happen and that's ok.  I'm hoping for 2 miles tomorrow and 3 on Sunday.  Hopefully, next week I'll be able to work back up to my regularly scheduled long run.  But if I can't, that's ok too, just as long as I don't quit.  NOT THIS TIME!


I've realized that I love being a runner!  I finally feel like I am becoming the person I've always wanted to be.  Tonight, I registered for my first Half-Marathon!  I will be running in my hometown, on very familiar paths, the weekend before Thanksgiving.  I'm so excited!  The general plan is to cut back my mileage for a few weeks after that and then dive into my marathon training schedule in mid-December.  I don't have my actual marathon picked out yet, though.  I'm waiting for one to get approved to begin registration.  I also have a couple of backups if this one doesn't go through.  The general idea is to run my full marathon in late April or early May.  For me, this is the perfect time of the year.  I love cool, cloudy weather and that is usually what we have here in Oregon during that time frame.  I'm not a warm weather kind of gal in any situation.  I can tolerate it to some extent, but I do not enjoy it.  :)  Plus, I recently became a Swirlgear Ambassador and I have some cute long sleeve shirts/jackets on the way.  I'm so excited to have some nice quality running clothes for this rainy Oregon weather.  Click on the badge below to learn about this company.  I'll let you know what I think of the clothes when they get here.  I'm just so excited that, of all of the running pages out there, they happened to find my little one and liked it enough to include me in their group.



This girl is ecstatic that the rain is finally here!  I've been feeling all dried out for months.  We are supposed to get a storm this weekend, but I plan to fit my runs in anyway.  Running in the rain makes this pluviophile one happy girl.


Cheers for now, Run Lovers!
Ashley


1 comment:

  1. Great job! Keep it up, you'll rock that half!

    ReplyDelete