Tuesday, November 26, 2013

1/2 Marathon and a Change of Pace

Half-Marathon Reflection

Well, I finished my first half-marathon two days ago.  The first 7.5ish miles were fantastic, but by mile 10 my legs were tired and I just wanted to stop.  I didn't.  I kept going, though I did walk some.  I was a little disappointed with the walk breaks, but then I realized that I've only been running for about 6 months.  So, I'm very happy with the progress I've made in such a short amount of time.  During the race, I kept thinking how running 10Ks (6.2 miles) is enough.  I told myself 5Ks and 10Ks would make up future races, but now, two days later, I find myself looking for another half-marathon for late spring...?  I guess I see it as having room to grow.  I know that I can increase my 5K and 10K race paces, but the distance isn't much of a challenge anymore.  The half was definitely an all-around challenge, but I have a lot of room to grow.  I can both increase my pace and decrease or eliminate my walking breaks.  I want to be badass and to continue to challenge myself, so I'm going to try again!  :)



A Change in Goals

Ok, so I don't want to run a marathon anymore...at least not right now.  I originally set the goal as a way to stay motivated and to help myself meet other goals.  However, in training for my half, I have met many of the goals already.  So far, I have:

1. developed a love of running
2. developed good exercise habits
3. lost some weight (still working on this one)
4. started to feel like an athlete again
5. gotten stronger



I am still working on these goals and will continue to race and challenge myself.  I have decided that 2 to 2 1/2 hour weekend training runs are enough.  Also, I don't feel like I'm in good enough shape yet to put myself through marathon training and I definitely don't want to get injured.  I get sore by about 10 miles and feel that if I push myself too much farther injury is inevitable.  Plus, virtually everyone I know who has run a marathon has ended up in a boot and on crutches due to stress fractures.  So, I feel like I can accomplish my goals by sticking to the distances I am running now.  Again, I'm not saying that I'll never run a marathon, but right now, I don't feel like I really have the extra time or desire to commit to it.  I have caught the racing bug and have already scheduled a virtual 5K in December, a 10K in January, and a 5K obstacle course in May.  I am still looking for a late spring half (April or May) and will probably add some more 5K and 10K races in the late winter/early spring.  I'm addicted to collecting race bibs, medals, and t-shirts.  I am also displaying my bibs and medals in my classroom in an attempt to set a good example for my students.  This journey has been an amazing one so far and I am learning so much about myself.  My main goal is to be a lifetime runner...until I am no longer able to run.


Cheers!
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. I love your flexibility in regards to your goal setting. Time and again I have seen people get injured because they refuse to listen to what their body is telling them. Then they end up being inactive.

    My favorite things about Yoga are learning to listen to my body, not just on the yoga mat but in all situations, and checking my ego at the door. I want to be strong, fit and flexible as long as possible not just for today.

    I'm so proud that you were able to finish a half after only 6 months of running, that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete