Monday, December 2, 2013

Ok...I'm Done...I'm Officially Vegan

Ok, so last spring I intended to go vegan when I began running, but it didn't really happen like I had hoped.  I cut out most of the animals products I was eating, but still consumed them when I ate out.  I didn't buy products containing animal products, but if my husband did, I often ate them.  I've been struggling morally because I "wanted" to be vegan, but I made a lot of excuses to eat dairy and eggs.

I began reading Eat Like You Care by Gary Francione and realized that I don't really have a legitimate excuse to consume animal products.  I really want to be vegan and I'm going to stop standing in my own way.  I love animals and they don't deserve to suffer because it is convenient for me to eat products that come from them.  I have know about how terrible the egg industry is, but I didn't realize "cage-free" doesn't mean squat.  They are not happy or healthy chickens and the male babies are thrown into grinders alive because they will never be able to lay eggs and no one wants the males.  THERE IS NO WAY I WILL SUPPORT THIS PRACTICE.

The dairy industry is just as bad.  The cows are forcefully impregnated and then the babies are taken away immediately and put into tiny crates.  Many of them stay in the crates for 6ish months before becoming veal.  Also, the dairy cows end up in the slaughterhouses too, as soon as their productivity decreases after about 4-5 years (they can live to 25+ years).  This information was new to me.  I AM DONE!  I cannot be a part of this appalling culture anymore!  These animals don't deserve to be tortured and murdered!

We do not need animal products to be healthy.  Research is showing that people who consume a plant-based vegan diet are actually healthier than those who eat animal products.  There are also many famous and successful athletes who are vegan, including Scott Jurek (perhaps the best ultra-marathon runner of all time) and Brendan Brazier (successful triathlete).  The astounding careers of these men, and many others, is proof that we don't need animal products to be healthy.  Here is a link to other famous vegans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegans





I realize that being vegan will take extra effort on my part.  The small community I live in is very focused on animal products (lots of hunters...ugh!).  It is almost impossible for me to find vegan food at restaurants, but, luckily, my favorite sushi place has vegan sushi.  We also have a couple of small natural food stores.  This means I will have to cook more and plan ahead.  I won't be able to pick up dinner on the way home very easily.  But, my mind is starting to think that way on its own.  I love muffins, but can't find vegan ones here, so I made my own this evening.  I have also discovered some delicious vegan cheese sauces that I can use on nachos, burritos, enchiladas, potatoes, etc.  I also just purchased a cookbook that is dedicated to vegan pizzas!  Yes, it takes a little more effort to be vegan (in my community, at least), but it is so worth it.  If you live in a bigger city, there are usually tons of vegan options at restaurants (at least on the West Coast), you just have to look for them.  Vegan food has come a long way and it doesn't have to be bland and gross.  There are some amazing cookbooks out there, if you just take a look.  I am not a great chef nor do I really enjoy cooking, however,  I am choosing to be a compassionate and loving human being who values ALL living things.  Ahimsa, do no harm.



Cheers,
Ashley

P.S.  Let me know if you want references for cookbooks or other information about becoming vegan.


No comments:

Post a Comment